There are several common home security mistakes that homeowners make. Here are some to be aware of:
1. Failing to lock doors and windows: It might seem like a no brainer, but many burglaries happen because homeowners forget to lock their doors and windows. Make sure to lock all doors and windows, even if you’re just stepping out for a short time.
2. Hiding a spare key outside: While it might seem like a convenient option, hiding a spare key outside your home is actually one of the first places burglars will look. Instead, give a spare key to a trusted friend or neighbor, or consider installing a smart lock that allows you to unlock your door remotely.
3. Using a weak passwords:If you’re relying on a simple or easily guessable password for your home security system or smart locks, it’s time to change it. Use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters to create a strong and unique password.
4. Not updating your home security system: Technology is constantly evolving , and your home security system should too. Make sure to regularly update your system and check for any software or firmware updates.
5. Leaving valuables in plain sight: If you have valuable items on display in your home, they can be tempting targets for burglars. Consider storing valuable items out of sight or installing blinds or curtains to block the view of your possessions from the outside.
By avoiding these common home security mistakes, you can help keep your home and belongings safe from burglars.