As a locksmith, one of the most common questions I get asked is how to keep a house safe. Here are some tips that I recommend to my clients.
1. Invest in high quality locks: The first line of defense against burglars is your locks. Make sure to invest in high quality locks that are resistant to tampering and picking. Deadbolts are a great option, as they are difficult to bypass without the proper key.
2. Keep your doors and windows locked: It may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s surprising how many people forget to lock their doors and windows. Make sure to lock all points of entry to your home, even when you are stepping out for a short time.
3. Use a security system: A security system can provide an extra layer of protection for your home. Many systems offer features like motion sensors, cameras,and alarms to alert you if someone is trying to break in.
4. Keep valuables out of sight: If a burglar can see valuables items through windows or doors, they may be more likely to target your home. Keep valuables like jewelry and electronics out of sight or in a secure location.
5. Use exterior lighting: Proper lighting can deter burglars from attempting to break into your home. Install exterior lights on your property and make sure to keep them turned on at night.
6. Don’t advertise your absence: If you’re going away on vacation, make sure to stop newspaper and mail delivery and have a trusted friend or neighbor keep an eye on your home. Don’t advertise your absence on social media or leave clues that you’re away, like leaving a key under the mat.
By following these tips, you can significantly reduce the risk of a break-in and keep your home and family safe. If you have any concerns about the security of your home, don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional locksmith for advice or assistance.House